Thursday, February 21, 2013

Commentary: The Misery of SIlence-Maxine Hong Kingston


Silence can be portrayed as so many different things.  Silence can be protest, fear, expression, choice, forced, shyness or anxiety, and so many more topics.  A moment of silence symbolizes mourning for a person or group of people.  A day of silence is nationally observed to bring awareness to bullying, specifically to the LGBT community.  The book Speak portrays a character with selective mutism who uses it as a coping device after a traumatizing incident; the television show The Big Bang Theory portrays a character with selective mutism and uses it as a comedic device to poke fun at how inept the main characters are at speaking to women.  Silence can be inwardly reflective, or it can be an outward display of character.  It can call attention to someone, or cause someone to be overlooked.  With all the degrees of silence and all the directions it can go, it is not surprising that Kingston defines so much of her childhood by her constant silence. 
                While I cannot specifically relate to the silence of an immigrant family in a foreign school, I have observed many forms of silence which have many parallels to what Kingston describes.  In unfamiliar or nerve-racking environments, even the words of one’s own language can feel foreign due to uncomfortable surroundings.  The more that one worries about how they are perceived, the more likely they are to trip over their own words, and realizing this, they are more likely to simply stay silent.  This anxiety is what causes students to not ask questions in classes that trouble them.  A similar fear in other contexts is what may cause victims of verbal bullying to oftentimes not stand up to their attackers.  Even simpler situations, such as wanting to reply to a statement that was made but being unable to simply because the lesson or conversation is moving along, can put a strain on the struggle of silence versus speaking.
            I have found that the Day of Silence is actually quite effective in bringing awareness to the struggles of feeling trapped in one’s mind.  Consciously staying silent, even though it was my own choice, caused me to feel a little disheartened.  It gives the impression that maybe what I had to say wasn’t worth saying in the first place.  It made me realize how many unnecessary comments I make in a day, yet I wanted to make those comments anyway.  Before communicating with someone (I carried around a whiteboard,) I had to think through what I wanted to say and make it concise; they had to stick around while I wrote it if they wanted to see what I had to say.  Words seemed to knock behind my teeth and my mouth seemed to dry out.  Any noise from my throat, such as a laugh, was jarring.  It seemed both forbidden and freeing at the same time.  The interesting thing about the Day of Silence is that it both exaggerates the circumstances and at the same time doesn’t even come close to showing us what it’s truly like to be figuratively (or sometimes literally) silenced by the world.  Many of us don’t know what it’s like to be a victim.  Many of us, unfortunately, do.   
From my experience, I have found that I understand things best through metaphors.  The Day of Silence is very effective in communicating its message.  Silence is difficult to endure, and while part of it is a choice, it still takes someone to listen.  Silence can define someone, or can cause someone to force definitions upon themselves.  Silence is dangerous, but in some cases silence is wonderful.  Silence is so many different things because it is the absence of words; and without anything to go off of, people have to truly think for themselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just say a play last weekend, "When the Rain Stops Falling," and one of my favorite comments in the play, which is about a family with a terrible secret that covers many generations, is the line where a character comments that his mother said nothing at all because she had so much to say. I imagine the LGBT day of silence addresses the same issues. Will you be participating again this year?

Anonymous said...

I can relate to a lot of this. It's no secret that I'm a generally timid person. I think for me it's mainly by choice (like with Raj's selective mutism) because I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing or offending someone. I probably do worry too much about what others think of me, as made evident in my silent nature. I'm not very smooth with my words, so it seems safer to just stay quiet. Lots of times this does lead to me being overlooked, like you mentioned in the first paragraph, which is what I would prefer. In my case, selective silence works for me.

Anonymous said...

I am generally quiet person as well, feeling fear at saying the wrong thing. So generally not speaking something is what I find to work well. The creators of Doctor Who must have realized this, and with their infinite humor came the creation of the Silence. The Silence are aliens, who upon looking at them you remember them and everything that has to do with them. When looking away you forget their existence. You won’t remember them until the next time you see them. Is this not so different from those of us who don’t like talking?

Anonymous said...

Coming from a queit person as well, I thnk a lot of this holds true. I personally have trouble expressing my feelings verbally sometimes, so it was refreshing to hear you talk about the Day of Silence, for it actually very closely mimics a condition which to some extent is the norm for me.