Thursday, May 16, 2013

Commentary-Third Trimester: Aaron Copland's How We listen


            I absolutely love music and I always have.  However, I’ve never been one to really explore the different aspects of it.  I try out new genres, I appreciate the artistic input that goes into creating it, but even though I’ve tried, music has never been something that I understand as well as I would like to.  My friends compose music and play it beautifully, I’m lucky to comprehend a piece that we’re learning in band class.  I am often informed that performers who I considered to be quite good are apparently singing in the wrong key or slightly out of tune.  I’ve never really understood different keys.  I mean, I know the concept, but identifying it has always been seemingly out of my reach. 
            I suppose I listen to music on predominately the “sensual plane of listening.”  That is, I listen to music for the sound of music.  It is an escape, or an enjoyable way to pass time.  Supposedly, music lovers who use only this plane of listening are a problem.  As if not comprehending all the scientific and mathematical components of music somehow detracts from its value.  Now, I certainly wish I could listen on multiple planes of music.  I am always impressed by those who do and I am envious of the ability to speak intelligently on the subject of composition and presentation, but there is nothing wrong with being a single-plane listener. 
            Music is something that engrosses many people from the very beginning.  We grow up playing with toys that make noises and we adventure by parading around with pots and pans as we try to create something that we enjoy hearing.  Music stimulates different parts of the brain and different genres of music have different effects.  Those who learn instruments, particularly from young ages, statistically have higher IQs and better grades on average.  These people don’t have to comprehend the nuances of the creation of music; it can take place on entirely subconscious levels and still have positive outcomes. 
            The single plane listeners can still have their lives changed by music.  We can still appreciate almost everything that music has to offer.  As wonderful as a deeper knowledge of music is, it is not entirely necessary to be a listener.  After all, we don’t need to be cinematography experts to watch television, nor do we need to study the culinary arts in order to enjoy a plate of cookies, so why must we feel too inferior to listen to music just because we don’t always know the full process behind it?  Music is a simple pleasure of life as well as a complex form of art and expression.  What is the point of having only one form of appreciation, only one level of commitment, to something that has so many levels of its own?  With all the depth and potential in music, it only makes sense to leave just as much variation among the listeners as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There have been years of teaching where I have made it more a point to play music in the class, mostly classical, "American," or some other such that students don't normally choose, in order to help those brain waves. This year, it seemed I didn't as much. Any thoughts on music in the classroom?

Anonymous said...

I enjoy music a lot. I have a lot of respect for professional musicians, because playing music takes a lot of dedication and skill. I know someone in band who practices his instrument for hours after school. It's no accidnet that he's going to U of M with a scholarship to study musical performance. I had a clarinet teacher who told me that he would play his clarinet while biking on a cardio machine in his house, in order to develop better breath support and become a better player. I don't think some people realize the dedication that goes into being a musician.

Alex said...

(In response to Ms. Kochan's comment)-I love it when teachers play music in the classroom, but some days it just depends on my mood. Music might distract me from my work or cause me to zone out, but in most cases it's nice to have something playing and it usually doesn't cause any dilemmas.

Alex said...

(In response to Maddie's comment)- I think a lot of people don't realize the dedication that goes into a lot of things. Chances are that almost any profession that someone considers "easy" can fit into this. People dont realize the time and effort that it takes to be a musician because they just consider it all to be talent. Ballet is used as the epitome of daintiness when in reality ballerinas are pretty hardcore, they have to have insane amounts of strength, balance, and coordination as well as the grace to make it look simple. Actors, singers, cheerleaders, and even pole dancers (so I've heard)...the talent and commitment that goes into any passion is usually much deeper than most people assume.

Anonymous said...

It's no surprise that I really like music. I've written a couple commentaries about it now, and it's been a part of my life for longer than I can remember. It takes a lot of effort and skill to play music, I also think this is something that most people don't realize.
As for music in class, there should definitely be more of it. I think classical would be easiest just because it's hard to concentrate on something else when you know a song with lyrics. Instead of reading, I would be listening to the lyrics.

Anonymous said...

(In response to Ms Kochan) I really like music in the classroom, it helps me focus. It annoys me that some teachers won't let us use iPods in the classroom. I understand that while teaching it's not okay, but if there's silent worktime I really like it when we're allowed to use them.