Thursday, May 16, 2013

Commentary-Third Trimester: Barbara Holland's In Defense of Naps


                Nowadays it seems as though people are almost in denial of their need for sleep.  Almost every high-schooler spikes their day with some sort of coffee or energy drink.  Homework stretches late at night and pushes hours of sleep farther and farther away.  Between-class discussions are often a comparison as to who is living on the least amount of sleep and who was lucky enough to be in bed before midnight.  Despite the jokes that surround the problem, such as “who needs sleep anyway? Sleep is just a myth,” students really do need better ways to efficiently and productively work through their days without being deprived of sleep.
            In Japan, sleeping on the job is admirable.  It is seen as a sign of working very hard, enough so that one is just too exhausted to stay awake.  In fact, some employees even fake being asleep on the job in order to appear more dedicated.  However, school doesn’t allow for even a chance to rest throughout the course of the day. Even while listening, students are told to pick their heads up from the desk or to look at whoever is speaking.  Even though both of those are courteous things to do, sometimes a students’ eyes need some rest, or if they put any more focus into holding their head up then they won’t have the focus to concentrate on the subject. 
            Once we are at home, the allure of sleep is even stronger.  We attempt to do our homework somewhere more comfortable than the desks that we’ve been at all day, and a new dilemma of focus reveals itself.  Sleep becomes either a reward that we must look forward to after working for a few more hours, or a forbidden fruit that tempts us every few minutes.  Drifting off for a few moments feels almost shameful, productivity slips away and procrastination attacks.  With all the pressure that is put on students to get good grades, anything that may drag them away from that expectation will eat away at us.  Stress builds up and sleep is the first thing to go since it is something that is moderately within our control.  What students need is to find a way to recognize that sleep doesn’t need to be avoided, however that’s far easier said than done when homework continues to pile on as well as tasks from home, jobs, and extra-curriculars.
            Perhaps a small nap upon arrival at one’s house wouldn’t be the worst idea.  If one can collapse on the couch or a bed after getting home and forget all their troubles for a fraction of an hour, then they might be more motivated to work upon awakening and they wouldn’t spend every other minute of work wishing that they didn’t have to be working.  The perception of time and the way that it moves when one is tired is confusing and often stressful.  Hours move by without warning when deadlines are approaching, minutes move far too slowly when one is near desperate to get somewhere else.  Perhaps if we just took a few minutes to slow down in this hectic world and appreciate sleep, then perhaps sleep itself, or lack of it, wouldn’t be such an issue.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleep is certainly refreshing when there is enough of it. However I often feel like I am being betrayed by my alarm clock. It often seems that my nightly sleep is more of a nap than, well, a sleep. I agree that high school students in particular could definitely use a lot more sleep. Sometimes it's better to stop working when one has reached a certain extent of exhaustion and save the work for a better state of being.

Anonymous said...

I very much like this commentary. While I read it, I am in fact sitting on my bed. I think the reason why High school students try to avoid sleep is the lure of what other things they could get done if they didn't have to sleep. I know that I often wish that I didn't physically have to sleep, so that I could get more done, but I think that I would soon miss the time to refresh.

Anonymous said...

I know when you talked about how in Japan it is even considered admirable to sleep on the job, I kept thinking about how in many Spanish-speaking countries, such as Spain, kids and adults alike get a break from work/school(called a siesta) where they are supposed to actually GO HOME and rest up and eat with their family. I can't even imagine how nice this would be. School, especially in high school like everyone is pointing out, can be physically draining, and to have such a break to even just rest for a little while could benefit a lot of people.

Alex said...

I also wish that we physically did not require sleep, although for me this is mostly because I adore the night and so rarely get to thoroughly enjoy it.
The natural human sleep cycle, when one is taken away from schedules and electricity, does include a few different naps. So that's just another unnatural thing that the modern world has forced us into making normal.

Anonymous said...

This is what happens when Edward Cullens learns how to play the piano and write concertos because he doesn't have to sleep. ugh.

You would all be very annoying if you didn't sleep :)

Anonymous said...

I completely understand this exhausted feeling. For some reason,
certain days are just very draining. I remember coming home from
school one day last year and thinking how comfortable the carpet in my
bedroom looked. My host mom woke me up two hours later wondering why I
had decided to nap on the floor. Apparently I was so tired that I
hadn't even made it to the bed.